The Energy Council of South Africa is looking to contract experienced skills to support ongoing initiatives under the business-Eskom partnership working under NECOM.
A potential of 3 Strategic Initiative Managers are required as follows on initially a 6-month contract with a view to extend.
New Energy Capacity: Focus on catalysing and unlocking new generation capacity, with emphasis on private generation to meet the technology spectrum and specifically dispatchable power and ancillary services.
Power Markets: Focus on building an effective wholesale power market, with emphasis on wheeling, trading and municipal reform.
Transmission: Focus on all aspects of power transmission, toward efficient and equitable grid access, optimised and rapid capacity upgrades and new grid infrastructure implementation.
Purpose of the role
The Strategic Initiatives Manager will drive the business participation on high-impact strategic initiatives that have been agreed under the NECOM governance charter. A good candidate for this role will have had several years’ management experience and deep technical understanding of the subject matter and is looking to help solve the energy crisis and expedite South Africa’s energy transition.
It is envisaged that the initial contract will be for minimum 20 hours per week, subject to negotiation and circumstances. The role will work closely with the Energy Council, Business teams and leads, Eskom execs and staff, NECOM secretariate, and key members of the Presidency.
Qualifications and competencies
- Demonstrated management and leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering at minimum.
- 10 years’ plus experience in the energy sector.
- A strong network in the energy sector in South Africa.
- Subject matter technical and management level experience.
- Can work with stakeholders toward an outcome, facilitating targeted and constructive engagement.
- Comfortable with complexity and uncertainty, strong problem-solving skills.
Affordability of rates will be a key consideration.
Please contact the Energy Council on email@example.com (this is not an offer of contract)